Volleyball Tournament Essentials
Published on September 1, 2010 by sprouticus · 1 Comment
Is there a volleyball tournament in your future? Here are some things that you should never enter a gym without packing.
I’ve got a 3-day tournament coming up, and that’s got me thinking about what to bring to make sure I can get through all three days in the best shape possible. Once upon a time I spent nearly every weekend at tournaments and I had packing down to a science. But these days I need some reminders of what to bring, so I thought I’d share my packing list:
- Food. This one sounds like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many people go to tournaments that are scheduled to last for hours or days without a food plan — I once saw a team order pizza less than an hour before a championship match. Consider what your body needs to keep playing at its best, and make sure that’s in your bag or a cooler. Some good choices are bananas with peanut butter, meal bars like Lara or Clif bars, and cheese and crackers. You want food that won’t weigh you down but will still give you long-term energy. Avoid sugary snacks that might give you crash later on.
- Liquids. Again, it may seem obvious, but you need to bring water. Lots and lots of water. Drink before you play, while you’re playing, and after you’re done. Aim for 8-10 ounces every 15 minutes during a game, but don’t overdo it — there’s nothing worse than a stomach full of water when you’re trying to jump. If your games last longer than an hour try a sports drink afterward.
- Spares. Prepare for the unexpected by throwing in a backup pair of socks, shorts, and sports bra for the ladies, preferably in a separate bag in case your original gets lost. If you have an extra pair of shoes it doesn’t hurt to bring those either, although they do take up a lot of room. And it may sound silly, but keep a set of shoelaces in your bag all the time. Trust me on this one.
- Weather Essentials. If it’s going to be wet outside, make sure you have outdoor shoes to change into so you don’t ruin your court shoes. If you’re playing an outdoor tournament, sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat are on the list of must-haves. If rain is a possibility during an outdoor game, do your best to prepare by bringing a tarp and/or umbrella. There’s nothing worse than being cold and wet for hours without relief.
- First Aid Materials. If you’re prone to a certain type of injury, bring materials with you that can help you deal with it. I jam my fingers often, so I always have tape and scissors with me, along with some pain relief medication. Those who suffer from wrist or ankle sprains should keep braces on hand. Even if you’re not already at risk of injury, sports tape, scissors, pain meds and an ice pack are always handy to have around.
What else has to be in your volleyball bag? Let us know in the comments!
Looking for the bag pictured above? You can find it here.
Tags: packing for volleyball, volleyball tournament